Peeling of the skin is a sure sign of its defeat, a violation of the natural process of renewal of the surface of the epidermis and rejection of the stratum corneum. The situation may be accompanied by other symptoms: itching, redness, swelling. Why does the skin on the face peel off and how to correct the situation? It is necessary to find out the cause and eliminate the provocateur of a negative phenomenon.
Problem areas of the face
Why is the skin on the face dry and flaky? This question is asked by both women and men who are faced with this problem. The former are more often prone to peeling due to the anatomical features of the structure of the dermis. The surface of their epidermis is more vulnerable to external factors, temperature changes, and loses moisture faster. And the internal environment affects the state of the epidermal cover. Different facial areas are affected.
The causes of peeling of the skin on the face are called different, but the most common of them:
- Allergy (to cosmetics, food, pollen).
- Climatic conditions that adversely affect the skin – temperature changes, heat, frost, dry air.
- Avitaminosis and lack of fluid.
- Changes and violation of the hormonal background (including during pregnancy).
- body intoxication.
- Skin diseases.
- Fungal infections.
Why does the skin around the lips peel off?
The epidermis near the lips is sensitive, so peeling often occurs in this area. This happens both in the cold and in the warm season for various reasons. The cover is negatively affected by strong wind, cold air, ultraviolet rays. Often, irritation near the lips occurs due to a lack of vitamins. When answering the question of why the skin on the face around the mouth is peeling, we must not forget about the structural features of the epidermis in this place. There are no sebaceous glands around the lips, and the skin loses moisture faster. Its desiccation, the formation of small cracks and wounds are noted.
Why does the skin on the nose peel off?
More often, local peeling of the skin affects the nasal area: the bridge of the nose, the wings of the nose, the area under it. An unpleasant phenomenon that brings psychological and physical discomfort is caused by the following provocateurs:
- Wrong face care. Poorly selected cosmetics, too rare or frequent washing.
- Irritation of the mucosa due to a runny nose, including allergic, and constant blowing.
- Dermatitis and others.
Why does the skin on the forehead peel off?
The most common cause of damage to the forehead area is beriberi. If in this area the skin of the face has become very dry and flaky, this may indicate a lack of vitamins, especially B2. Its deficiency in the body is expressed by the appearance of cracks and irritation of the epidermis. In addition, a lack of vitamins A and E can be the reason why the skin on the face in the forehead area is flaky. But we must not forget about other provocateurs – dermatological phenomena, hormonal failure that occurred in the body.
Why does the skin on the eyelids peel off?
A serious cause for concern is itching and peeling of the eyelid. The epidermis in this place is very delicate, more susceptible to negative factors than other areas. The appearance of scales is accompanied by swelling, redness, may indicate an eye disease. The causes of peeling skin on the upper eyelids are called the following:
- The defeat of the ciliary mite, the development of demodicosis.
- Fungal and bacterial diseases of the eyelids.
- Allergy to cosmetics for the eyes and not only (food, seasonal and other).
- Irritation due to hard chlorinated water.
- Dryness of the eyelids from exposure to heat, in a dry room.
- Eye fatigue.
- Incorrectly fitted contact lenses.
- Age factor, dry eye syndrome and sebaceous duct dysfunction.
Why does the skin on the eyebrows peel off?
Redness and peeling of the skin affects not only the smooth epidermis on the face, but also the area near the eyebrows (under, above, between them). The dying particles exfoliate, and this is accompanied by inflammation and itching. The presence of a complex of dermatological problems cannot be ignored. To do this, it is necessary to identify provoking factors. Strong peeling of the skin on the eyebrows is caused by:
- Skin diseases – dermatitis, psoriasis, seborrhea and others.
- Abuse of sunbathing. Drying of the epidermis.
- Incorrectly selected or low-quality cosmetics (eyebrow paint or wax, shadows, mascara, brightening agents). Allergic reaction to it.
- Irritation of the eyebrows after cosmetic procedures, such as eyebrow tattooing.
- Insect bites.
- Violation of the quality of nutrition, lack of vitamins.
Why does the skin on the cheeks peel off?
A problem familiar to many, especially in winter, is the appearance of irritation and flaking scales on the cheeks. If the plaques are very pronounced, itchy, the skin exfoliates in layers, it is recommended to check for the presence of psoriasis or psoriasis, other infectious and non-contagious diseases. In children, damage to the cheeks indicates the appearance of diathesis. This is how allergies can occur. Other common causes of flaky cheeks include:
- Micro damage. The slightest drying of delicate skin provokes damage to the upper layer.
- Problems with the gastrointestinal tract. The skin of the cheeks in this case is an indicator of the general condition of the digestive system.
- Abuse of cosmetics and salon procedures, for example, often after cleansing the face, the skin flakes off.
- Temperature changes.
Peeling skin on the face and acne
Not only dry, but also oily or combination skin are prone to flaking. These two unpleasant phenomena can be connected, one symptom follows from the other. For example, the treatment of acne with aggressive drugs leads to damage to the epidermis. And the use of masking cosmetics only exacerbates the problem with peeling. When oily skin flakes off on the face, external and internal factors can be to blame. Dryness is caused by:
- hormonal disbalance;
- taking medications;
- improper diet (strict diets);
- aggressive environment and cosmetics;
- skin diseases and other provocateurs.
Redness and peeling of the skin on the face
Inflamed, red scaly spots in the face area do not appear by chance and signal a serious problem. It is useless to hide them under a layer of cosmetics – it is required to identify a provoking phenomenon. The severity of plaques depends on the pathogen that provoked them. The skin on the face is flaky, and red spots appear simultaneously for various reasons. They can become:
- acute infectious diseases;
- skin diseases – rosacea, demodicosis, eczema, herpes and others;
- weakening of the immune system;
- diseases of internal organs;
- severe allergic reaction.
Itching and peeling of the skin
When the exfoliation of areas of the epidermis is accompanied by pronounced itching, this is a reason to be wary. In the absence of treatment, the affected plaques can grow throughout the body, crust, and bleed. Why does the skin on the face flake and itch? If the itching is not severe, severe irritation may be to blame due to the use of cosmetics, hard water, and improper functioning of the sebaceous glands. When the skin on the face is very flaky and itchy, provocateurs such as:
- skin diseases;
- internal diseases (chickenpox, measles and others);
- abuse of bad habits;
- skin allergy;
- reaction to ultraviolet and other reasons.
How to get rid of peeling skin on the face?
If the skin of the face is very flaky, you want to get rid of the problem immediately. In an attempt to relieve itching, irritation and redness, cosmetic cleansers, medications and peels are used. The latter are highly undesirable for the affected skin. Foam, serum or cream for peeling skin on the face also needs to be selected correctly. Directed action should be complex:
- During the period of winter and spring hypovitaminosis, it is advisable to opt for a fatty base cream. A multivitamin complex, fruits and vegetables should be included in the daily diet.
- In hot or cold weather it is useful to use protective equipment.
- To get rid of acne, it is recommended to choose non-aggressive cosmetics – gels, creams with a moisturizing effect. They should fight acne, but not overdry the dermis.
- Healing creams for dermatitis, eczema and other skin diseases are selected on the recommendation of a doctor.
The rating of the best pharmacy ointments that can eliminate the peeling problem includes:
- Hydrocortisone is an inexpensive anti-inflammatory agent.
- Dexpanthenol with vitamin B.
- Aquaphor for dry skin.
- Regenerating cream Bepanten, suitable for both children and adults.
- Zinc ointment, allowed during pregnancy.
Trying to figure out why the skin on the face is peeling, we must not forget about the possible development of internal diseases. If cosmetic and pharmaceutical preparations fail to eliminate the problem, a consultation with a dermatologist is required. He will make a diagnosis and prescribe the appropriate treatment aimed at eliminating the main provocateur of peeling. In other cases, the pathology can be dealt with independently. It is necessary to properly care for the skin, use only proven creams and cosmetics, and avoid the harmful effects of the external environment.