The human body is exposed to various negative factors. Many are interested in the question of why the skin on the hands dries and cracks on the fingertips. The main reason for this is the interaction of the epidermis with pollution and ultraviolet rays.
Why does the skin on the hands crack?
This problem is very often exacerbated in people with the advent of cold weather and the onset of summer. When the skin on the hands dries and cracks, the reasons can be different and they depend on:
- External influence – caused by low indoor humidity levels, renovations or climate change. The condition of the skin is also affected by irritation from household chemicals, washing hands in bad water and the lack of proper care.
- Internal features of the body – Caused by poor health. It can be caused by eczema, infections, allergies, anemia, diabetes, hormonal imbalance, or fungal diseases. The skin on the hands cracks with a lack of essential vitamins and minerals.
How to treat cracks in the hands?
Many people are interested in the question of what to do when the skin on the fingers cracks. If the cause is an external factor, then the first step is to eliminate the irritant and diligently care for the damaged area. Any household chemicals have a negative effect on the epidermis, so you need to wash dishes, clean, replant flowers only with rubber gloves.
If the skin on the hands and palms, on the fingertips or between them cracks, then most likely this is caused by internal diseases of the body. In such cases, you should contact a specialist to determine the cause of the problem and prescribe the necessary treatment. Home therapy can be very harmful or simply useless.
Cream for cracked hands
If your skin often dries up or cracks on your hands are just starting, then you can use hand creams. They are nourishing, moisturizing, protective, with a light and oily texture. Depending on the situation, you should also select a care product that must be applied after each contact with household chemicals and water, before going outside and going to bed.
Currently, pharmacies and shops offer a huge range of hand creams. When choosing a drug to treat cracked and dry skin, choose emollients. They may include:
- jojoba oil;
- lactic acid;
- propylene glycol.
These ingredients retain moisture in the epidermis and fasten the subcutaneous tissues, you should pay attention to such products:
- Velvet handles, Nourishing cream;
- Home doctor, Mumiyo Altai;
- Nivea, Intense Moisture Cream;
- Himani, Boro Plus.
Ointment for cracked hands
If you have a more serious problem: the skin on your hands cracks to blood, does not heal for a long time, then you need to use a special ointment with a thick protective structure. It is best to purchase this remedy in a pharmacy, it may include beeswax and various oils. These ingredients have anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and regenerating properties.
Apply the ointment to the affected area in a thick layer before going to bed, and put on cotton gloves on top. You will have to perform this procedure until the wounds are completely healed. The most popular ointments, when the skin on the hands dries up and cracks, are:
Hand oil for dryness and cracks
If your skin on your hands dries and cracks, then it can be moisturized with various natural vegetable oils. The most useful of them are: sandalwood, linen, argan, burdock, castor and olive. They are used in their pure form and with the addition of various ingredients (calendula, string, chamomile, rosehip or kombucha tinctures, and so on), and are applied for 12 hours.
They are used to relieve inflammation, cleanse, soften and treat cuts, scars, cracks and wounds. Oils also have an antiseptic, regenerating and hypoallergenic effect, restore elasticity and give hands silkiness. To fully saturate and moisturize the body, they must not only be applied to the skin, make baths, but also eaten with food.
Hand mask for dryness and cracks
To overcome dryness and cracks on the skin of your hands, try making special masks that are based on paraffin, beeswax, glycerin and other components. Their main property is enveloping, nourishing, moisturizing and rejuvenating epidermal cells. The procedure can be carried out in the salon or at home until the wounds are completely healed.
Masks can be purchased at a pharmacy or you can make your own. Currently, the treatment of cracks in the hands of folk remedies is popular:
- Mix 3 tablespoons of sea buckthorn oil and 1 honey, apply on damaged skin and leave for half an hour. After that, wash everything off with a warm herbal decoction and use a baby cream.
- Pour 2 large spoons of oatmeal with boiling water and let them swell. After that, evenly apply the mass on the skin and hold for 15 minutes. Then wash it all off with water and anoint the skin with oil.
Hand baths for dryness and cracks
Various baths help to deal with problems on the hands. This is a well-known folk remedy for cracks in the hands, because there are a large number of recipes for their preparation, which you can choose at your discretion:
- In 1 liter of warm water, add two large spoons of vegetable oil. Hands are kept in such a bath for 20 minutes, then rinse everything with herbal decoction.
- Heat a liter of water over a fire and pour 100 g of starch into it (already diluted in cold water), constantly stirring the solution. Hands in the bath hold for half an hour, and then treated with a moisturizer.
What vitamins to drink with cracks in the hands?
Due to the lack of vitamins E and A in the human body, cracks in the hands may appear, the treatment of such a problem is possible by replenishing the missing trace elements. They can be drunk in a complex, rubbed into the skin or included in the diet of foods such as peaches, eggs, nuts, vegetables, legumes, cereals and greens. Every day you need to use unrefined olive, sunflower and butter oils.
If the skin of the hands is dry and cracked to the point of blood, then you may not be getting enough B vitamins or folic acid. They help to absorb the components that prevent iron deficiency anemia. To replenish the supply of missing trace elements, you need to constantly consume cereals, cheeses, milk, beef, eggs, vegetables and legumes or drink a course of medicines: