Stagnation in the lower extremities occurs for many reasons, some of them cannot be influenced (hereditary predisposition, high growth, age-related changes). It is possible to prevent the progression of varicose veins and the transition of the disease to a severe stage with trophic ulcers. It is important to take time to prevent it.
How to avoid varicose veins on the legs?
If there are no pronounced symptoms of the described problem, or there are single vascular “asterisks”, sometimes heaviness is felt in the ankles, phlebologists recommend following the general rules for preventing congestion. How to avoid varicose veins on the legs – prevention before the onset of the disease:
- Exclude or limit visits to baths, saunas, take hot baths less often.
- When sitting or standing for a long time, take breaks for 5-7 minutes and stretch your legs.
- Watch your weight and move more. “Sedentary” lifestyle, excess body weight increase the risk of developing varicose veins.
- Avoid constipation, if necessary, adjust the diet by including fiber in the menu.
- Every day, pour cool water on your feet after taking a shower.
- Wear comfortable and loose shoes with low heels. Model shoes are rarely worn, for a maximum of 3-5 hours.
- Give up bad habits, with varicose veins it is especially important to quit smoking.
- Control hormonal balance.
- Avoid wearing tight, tight clothing and accessories.
- Do evening self-massage of limbs.
When signs of pathology are already present, specific prevention of varicose veins in the legs is required:
- taking phlebotonics and phleboprotectors;
- application of local preparations that help normalize the outflow of venous blood;
- the use of compression stockings;
- performance of special gymnastics;
- the use of natural medicines.
Prevention of varicose veins in the legs – drugs
The disease in question occurs due to stagnation of lymph and blood in the vessels, due to which their walls stretch and lose their elasticity, large blood clots can form. Tablets for the prevention of varicose veins help restore the normal flow of body fluids, improve rheological properties and relieve inflammation. Phlebotonics and phleboprotectors are represented by a large group of medicines, including an extensive list of drugs. Detralex and Venarus are especially popular, but they can be easily replaced with similar means for the prevention of varicose veins:
- Normoven and others.
Detralex for the prevention of varicose veins
The basis of the presented medicine is flavonoid fractions, 90% of which is diosmin. The medication is prescribed for the relief, relief and prevention of such symptoms:
- feeling of fullness and heaviness in the ankles;
- trophic changes, including erosion, ulcers.
Prevention of varicose veins with Detralex is carried out on the recommendation of a phlebologist. The doctor selects the desired dosage, frequency of administration and duration of therapy, it can be 2-12 months, it depends on the severity of the pathological symptoms and the effectiveness of the current treatment. Adequate prevention of varicose veins in the legs through this phlebotonic involves the repetition of courses with short breaks. The main problem when using Detralex is its high cost, so many patients prefer cheaper drugs.
Venarus for the prevention of varicose veins
The active ingredients of the described drug are diosmin and hesperidin, it is a direct analogue of Detralex. Phlebotonic has identical properties and pharmacokinetic parameters, therefore, only a specialist gives instructions on how to drink Venarus to prevent stagnant processes in the veins of the lower extremities. A properly developed therapeutic regimen provides relief of the symptoms of the disease, strengthening of the vascular walls, and a decrease in capillary permeability and fragility.
Cream for the prevention of varicose veins
Local preparations serve as an additional way to alleviate the signs of the disease, they enhance the effect of the tablets taken, but produce a short-term effect. Prevention of varicose veins in the legs is carried out using the following creams and gels:
- Asklezan and others.
The listed medicines help only from swelling and pain, feelings of heaviness and fatigue in the lower extremities. Prevention of varicose veins in the legs with external medicines does not affect the condition of the walls of blood vessels. They are too deep under the skin, the gel or cream will not penetrate there, so it is important to adhere to the complex therapy developed by the phlebologist.
Underwear for the prevention of varicose veins
Compression hosiery puts pressure on the soft tissues, as a result of which the veins narrow, the blood flow in them increases and stagnation is eliminated. Socks, tights or stockings for the prevention of varicose veins should be selected individually by a specialist. It is important that the force of the impact of the material is dosed, and calculated as accurately as possible in accordance with the existing symptoms and the condition of the blood vessels.
If compression stockings for the prevention of varicose veins are bought independently without careful selection of the class, the intensity of the pressure exerted, subcutaneous hematomas and large edema may form on the legs. In some cases, wearing such underwear is fraught with a deterioration in well-being, increased congestion and pain in the lower extremities.
Exercises for the prevention of varicose veins
Simple gymnastics helps to alleviate the symptoms of the disease and increase the elasticity of the vascular walls in the early stages of the pathology. This prevention of varicose veins on the legs can be performed at home at any time, it is advisable to do the exercises every day or 4-5 times a week:
- In a standing position, bring your feet together. Rise on toes, lower on the whole foot. Lean on your heels, return to the starting position. Repeat manipulations 10-15 times.
- Sitting, stretch one leg forward, bend the other. Try to grab the foot with both hands, pull the sock towards you. Change legs.
- Knead the foot with a gymnastic ball with a ribbed surface for 5-10 minutes. To prevent varicose veins in the legs, such a “massage” must be carried out daily.
- Lying down, raise one straight limb up. Pull the sock towards you, holding it with your hand.
- Do a “bicycle” for 5-7 minutes. It is advisable to fully extend the knee during execution.
Prevention of varicose veins in the legs with folk remedies
Stagnant processes in the blood vessels can be prevented with the help of warm evening baths with the addition of medicinal plants and sea salt. Alternative prevention of varicose veins at home involves the use of decoctions from the following medicinal herbs:
- field horsetail;
- St. John’s wort;
- horse chestnut;
- lingonberry leaf;
- calamus root;
- cherry fruits;
Recipe for drops from varicose veins
- flowers and fresh chestnut fruits – 50 g;
- vodka – 450-500 ml.
Rinse the herbal raw material well with running water, coarsely chop the chestnuts. Loosely lay the plant base in a jar, fill it with vodka and cork with a nylon lid. Place the container in a warm and dark place for 14 days. When the solution is ready, strain it, pour it into a clean bottle. Drink 40 drops (regardless of food) every 4 hours, pre-dilute the medicine with boiled water.
Recipe for ointment for varicose veins
- chopped garlic with juice – 20 g;
- butter (from 72%) – 60 g.
Add garlic gruel to the softened, but not liquid, warmed fat and mix the ingredients well. Store the finished ointment in the refrigerator, preferably on the middle shelf. It is important to close the container with the drug very tightly. The resulting product should be applied to the legs every evening. Cover the treated areas with parchment paper, wrap with a warm scarf. In the morning, the skin is thoroughly washed, the procedure is repeated for 10 days.