Not only its health depends on the quality of oral hygiene, but also the state of internal organs, the functioning of the immune system. The brush is an important accessory in the care of teeth and gums. You need to know how to choose it so that cleaning is correct and effective.
Types of toothbrushes
There are many classifications of the considered devices. In accordance with the material of manufacture, natural and synthetic toothbrushes are distinguished. Dentists categorically do not recommend using the first type. Natural pile is a favorable environment for the reproduction of pathogenic bacteria and fungi. Before choosing a toothbrush, you need to make sure that it is synthetic.
According to the principle of operation, accessories are divided into 2 categories – mechanical (conventional) and electrical. The last species mentioned includes ionic and ultrasonic toothbrushes. The former are not very popular, dentists treat them neutrally. According to experimental studies, the effectiveness of removing plaque from an ionic and mechanical toothbrush is approximately the same, with significant differences in cost.
The presented parameters are enough to choose the right hygiene accessory. The rest of the details are up to you:
- the direction of the bristles;
- rubber inserts for gums;
- manufacturer and price.
Which toothbrush to choose?
The dentist can advise the best option, focusing on the current needs of the oral cavity, the sensitivity of enamel and gums, and individual characteristics. If the condition is satisfactory, and no diseases are found, the question of which toothbrush is better to choose is not critical. The main thing is to thoroughly, at least 2-3 minutes, clean the oral cavity and tongue twice a day.
Which toothbrush to choose – electric or conventional?
A feature of accessories powered by a network or power source is the independent movement of the nozzle. When deciding which brush to choose for brushing their teeth, many people prefer an electric toothbrush because of the ease of use. You just need to lean it against the enamel, the device will do the rest of the work itself. If the quality of cleaning plays the main role in the question of how to choose a toothbrush, the difference between the types described is minimal.
Electrical accessories do not have significant advantages. With the right brushing technique, mechanical toothbrushes are similarly effective. The final decision on how to choose the right toothbrush is best made in consultation with your hygienist. The exception is electrical devices with a separate rotating head. They allow you to remove a little more soft plaque and relieve inflammation of the gums a little, but in this case the advantage is only 6-10%.
Which toothbrush to choose – electric or ultrasonic?
The second type of hygienic accessory mentioned destroys even hardening plaque, slightly whitens the enamel and has a beneficial effect on the gums. If the choice is which toothbrush will be used daily, you should buy an electric one. The ultrasonic accessory can be used no more than 3 times a week. Such a brush is purchased only as an addition to thorough oral hygiene. It is used without paste, the pile does not need to be applied to the enamel, ultrasound acts at a distance of 1-5 mm.
How to choose the right toothbrush?
Having decided on the principle of operation of the accessory, you can proceed to the degree of rigidity, direction and density of the pile and other characteristics. In order not to make a mistake with the purchase, you should remember a few simple tips on how to choose a good toothbrush. A competent approach to the selection of hygienic devices will help not only save money, but also maintain oral health, prevent caries and gum disease.
How to choose a toothbrush by hardness?
The specified parameter means the thickness of the villi or the diameter of synthetic fibers. The larger it is, the higher the degree of rigidity of the toothbrushes. This is an important criterion to consider before choosing an accessory. It affects the effectiveness of plaque removal and gum health.
Degrees of hardness of toothbrushes and their designation:
- Very soft – sensitive, extra soft, ultra soft. The thinnest fibers are suitable for children under 5 years old and adults with inflamed gums, strong enamel abrasion.
- Soft – soft. Toothbrushes recommended for pregnant women, children 6-12 years old, people with bleeding gums, diabetes.
- Medium – medium. Standard accessory for a healthy mouth.
- Rigid – hard, extra-hard. The maximum thick pile, necessary for the accelerated formation of plaque and the presence of orthodontic structures in the mouth.
How to choose an electronic toothbrush?
In order for a digital device to provide effective hygiene care, it is important that it has certain functions.
Choosing the right electric toothbrush is easy if you first decide on its main characteristics:
- Food. It is optimal to buy an accessory with a battery, the batteries will have to be constantly changed, they can “sit down” unexpectedly.
- Modes. In a good modern toothbrush, you can choose the intensity of exposure for different areas of the oral cavity.
- Replaceable nozzles. They should be easy to find and install. Replacement is made every 2-3 months.
- Price. A quality device will not be cheap, but you don’t need to overpay for dubious features, such as ionic mode and whitening.
A few tips on how to choose a toothbrush:
- Pressure sensors will notify you of too much or too little pressure.
- The ability to switch reciprocating, rotational and oscillatory movements will allow you to better remove plaque in hard-to-reach areas.
- The timer will teach you to brush your teeth for at least 2 minutes.
- Forgetful people will need a reminder to replace the nozzle.
- Additional heads and massagers will help take care of tooth enamel and gums during the treatment.
How to choose an ultrasonic toothbrush?
This type of device belongs to semi-professional devices. It is desirable that the ultrasonic toothbrush is selected together with the dentist.
All devices in this category have an almost identical principle of operation, so it will be easy to choose:
- oscillation frequency – 1.6-1.7 MHz;
- large battery capacity;
- light or sound indicator notifying about the need to move the brush;
- additional nozzles for different zones;
- several operating modes (delicate, massage, disinfection and others).
Dental brush with braces
For owners of orthodontic structures, conventional hygiene accessories are not suitable. The dentist will help you choose a set of special devices:
- Standard brush. The pile should be arranged in the shape of the letter V, on such accessories there is often an ortho marking.
- Small toothbrush. Single-beam devices remove plaque from the “sixes” and “sevens”, the base of the bracket system.
- Ershik. It is necessary for cleaning under arcs and locks.
If you still can’t choose based on the above information, you can focus on the opinions of dentists and user reviews.
The best mechanical type toothbrushes:
- Oral-B Pro Expert;
- Splat complete;
- Colgate Premier;
- Radius Original;
- Sensodyne Expert.
You can choose an electric toothbrush from this list:
- Braun Oral-B Genius 9000;
- Philips Sonicare Diamond Clean;
- Hapica Ultra Fine;
- CS Medica.
Best Ultrasound Devices:
- Emmi Dent 6 Platinum;
- Donfeel HSD 010;
- Aquapick AQ 110;
- Kenwell RST 2062;
- Oral-B Pulsonic.