In trade, cooking and many other industries, as well as at home, they are used for weighing scales. Devices can fail and not always accurately show the weight of the load. Calibration, a method of accurately establishing the relationship between the readings of the scales and the reference indicator determined using weights, allows you to eliminate the problem. It is advisable to have a reference set of weights on hand in order to independently adjust the weighing accuracy on electronic models if necessary.
Calibration of electronic and mechanical scales can be carried out simply for prevention. Regardless of the purpose of the device, the calibration process is mandatory. The procedure is necessary to ensure the accuracy of the balance.
The measurement accuracy of the device can be lost both during operation and when simply moving from one place to another. How to calibrate the scale yourself? There are several ways.
- External. For this calibration, a special weight is used, called a standard. External calibration is used for both electronic and mechanical scales.
- Interior. New electronic scales are released with an installed internal “reference” intended for calibration. This is undoubtedly more convenient than the external method, but such models are more expensive.
- Auto. In the latest models, an extremely convenient self-calibration function has appeared, which takes place without the participation of the operator.
Calibration of floor mechanical scales, as well as all measuring instruments of a mechanical type, is carried out only by an external method using special weights.
See also: which scales are better, electronic or mechanical.
Chinese Scale Calibration Options
To calibrate the trading scale, you need to enter the setup mode. On models equipped with a jumper, the start of the calibration mode is initiated by switching the toggle switch. Instruments without this option are put into setup mode by entering a digital code. The desired combination should be searched in the documentation for the device or on the network by the model name.
Setting up models with a cost counter
The next course of action is the following.
- Open the calibration menu by entering a digital code and pressing the “1” button.
- Start the mode of setting the scales to zero by pressing the “T” (TARA) button.
- The appearance of the number “2” on the “Price” indicator indicates that the device is ready to install a reference mass weight equal to half the maximum possible for this device model. You should install the desired weight and press the “T” button.
- When the number “3” appears, enter the value of the weight of the installed weight in kilograms and press the “T” button.
- When the number “4” appears, enter the value of the maximum allowable weight of the cargo and tap “T”.
- When the number “5” appears, enter accuracy factor (from 1 to 10) and press “T”. You can use the default sampling value of 10.
- The process of setting up the device is over, remove the weights.
Adjustment using the internal calibration mechanism
Scales equipped with a built-in program for setting the weighing accuracy are calibrated according to the following algorithm.
- After switching to the setting mode, enter the calibration weight value equal to 1/3 of the maximum allowable and tap the “T” button. So, for a device designed for 300 kg of NPV, a third will be equal to 100 kg.
- Specify calibration weight in grams. To continue the process, press the “T” button.
- Enter the value of the maximum weighing limit in grams and confirm with “T”.
- Enter sampling rate (from 2 to 10) and press the “T” button.
- The device screen should display 100 with the specified number of zeros after the decimal point, which means the end of the device calibration process.
See also: the principle of operation of electronic scales.
How to calibrate jewelry scales
Adjusting the accuracy of jewelry weighing instruments requires special care and attention. We will show the procedure for calibrating a weighing tool using the MH-500 jewelry scale as an example.
- Press and hold the “UNIT” key, waiting for the value 500.0 to appear on the display of the device. The device indicates the reference mass required for automatic calibration.
- Press the “UNIT” button to start the auto tuning process. The inscription “CAL” flashes on the screen.
- After the numbers 500.0 reappear on the display, carefully place the 500-gram weight in the center of the instrument platform.
- The device will automatically turn off and on again, the word “PASS” will appear on the screen. The calibration process is completed and the instrument is ready for weighing.
Setting up and checking the accuracy of household floor scales
In order for electronic floor scales used to track body weight in fitness or dieting to weigh more accurately, you must adhere to the following rules.
- Place the instrument at absoluteovnoy, horizontal platform, firm and smooth. The location of the device at the time of the first switch-on after installing the battery significantly affects the accuracy of the balance during subsequent measurements. Most models are configured automatically when you first turn them on.
- Turn on the scales. Depending on the technological solution, different models turn on in different ways (automatically when you stand on the platform, when you press a button on the case or touch the touch panel). Information on how to turn on the device is contained in the description for a specific model. On the display of the switched on scales the zero indicator (0.00) should be highlighted.
- Stand on the platform when weighing in such a way that feet were parallel. When body weight exerts even pressure on the scale platform, sensors located on the sides of the center give the correct weight measurement.
Setting up scales with additional functions: measuring the body mass index, tracking the dynamics of changes, saving the results is carried out in accordance with the instruction manual.
The scales are battery powered. The battery must be replaced as soon as the capacity is lost significantly.
The human body is characterized by a dynamic change in mass, which is confirmed by differences in weighing indicators at different times of the day. To check the device for accuracy, it is recommended to carry out weighing several times. Subtract the smallest from the largest weight. The resulting difference should be compared with the maximum allowable error specified in the documentation for the model. If the discrepancy does not fit within the specified standard, then the scales are malfunctioning. Repairing or buying a new device will solve the problem.
See also: why the scales show different values.
Calibration for electronic scales is a necessary process. Over time, the accuracy of weighing goes astray, so do not forget about preventive calibration, especially since this is not a complicated process that you can do yourself and which does not take much time.