Arthritis of the ankle – this is an inflammatory-destructive lesion caused by a violation of the proportion of the load on the joint and the stability of the fibula, calcaneus, tibia or talus. It can develop at any age. If you notice symptoms of ankle arthritis, treatment and prevention of complications should begin immediately, as the inflammatory process develops rapidly and can lead to loss of motor activity.
Symptoms of ankle arthritis
At the initial stage of the development of arthritis of the ankle joint, only such symptoms appear as a feeling of tightness while putting on shoes due to swelling of the foot and pain with full amplitude of flexion / extension of the leg. When inflammatory foci increase in size, there are a number of common signs characteristic of this disease:
- edema, which is especially visible when pressed;
- sharp and severe pain, as well as redness in the ankle joints;
- a slight increase in skin temperature or
- discomfort when walking;
- bad feeling.
With rheumatoid arthritis of the ankle joint, a symptom of morning stiffness is also observed – in patients after sleep, there is a feeling that tight socks are worn on the legs. Morning stiffness usually disappears 2 hours after a person gets out of bed.
Medical treatment for ankle arthritis
Treatment of post-traumatic, rheumatoid and other types of arthritis of the ankle should begin with taking drugs that have anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects. It could be:
To quickly relieve swelling and improve microcirculation in the cartilage tissue with arthritis of the ankle joint, medications such as:
- Chondroitin Complex;
Only long-term use of Phlebodia and Detralex tablets or the use of Venoruton or Troxevasin ointments will help to increase the tone of the veins in this disease.
Alternative methods of treatment of arthritis of the ankle joint
In the early stages of the development of the disease, the treatment of arthritis of the ankle can be done at home using various folk remedies. An ointment with mummy will help to cope with pain and swelling.
- mummy – 5 grams;
- rose oil – 5 grams.
Mix mummy with rose oil. Rub the resulting ointment into the ankle area.
With sharp pains and redness, it is better to make a lotion:
- Grate 1-2 potatoes.
- Squeeze out the resulting slurry a little.
- Apply the pulp of a potato to the joint and put a gauze bandage on top.
- Remove the lotion after 25 minutes.
Surgical treatment of ankle arthritis
Arthritis causing limitation of movement? The disease is grade 3, and the joint is completely destroyed? In these cases, surgical treatment of ankle arthritis is required. The following operations are carried out:
- Arthrodesis – the joint is completely immobilized artificially, preserving the remnants of cartilage.
- Arthroplasty is the preservation of the joint by separating the articular tips, modeling new articular surfaces and placing a pad of healthy tissues of the patient between them.
- Endoprosthetics – prosthetics of a joint with a metal, plastic or ceramic prosthesis.
After surgical treatment of post-traumatic arthritis of the ankle joint, the patient is prescribed magnetotherapy, massage, acupuncture and therapeutic exercises. This improves tissue nutrition and speeds up recovery after surgery.