Such a method as teeth whitening with soda has been known for many years, even during the time of Peter the Great, this powder was used for lightening, they just called it “itch”. Soda not only makes teeth white, but also removes inflammation and prevents caries. There are several recipes that will help you quickly remove plaque and make your smile perfect.
Can you whiten your teeth with baking soda?
If earlier it was believed that the enamel darkens only from smoking, tea, coffee, now doctors call other reasons. Yellow plaque can be removed by soda for teeth, but gray or blackened plaque will not succumb to it, here you need the help of a doctor. Age-related changes also affect, which in parallel weaken the protection of the gums, so whitening should be done only after visiting the dentist.
Before practicing teeth whitening with soda, you need to carry out preparatory procedures:
- For at least a month, eat foods with a high content of calcium and fluorine, these are seafood, grapefruits and apples.
- Use fluoride toothpaste.
- Drink vitamins to strengthen immunity.
How does baking soda affect teeth?
Until now, discussions among physicians have not stopped about how soda affects tooth enamel. There is no unequivocal opinion, since it is a slightly alkaline compound that acts on the teeth as an abrasive, grinding substance. Small particles remove plaque and deposits, scraping them off the surface, simultaneously destroy bacteria, and quickly cope with thrush.
But if the enamel is weak, soda will begin to destroy it, make it rough and porous, which will allow bacteria to roam. The tissue of the teeth will become thinner, which is fraught with increased sensitivity, pain in reaction to hot and cold food.
So soda is useful only under the following conditions:
- strong enamel;
- lack of hypersensitivity;
- use baking soda no more than once a week.
Does baking soda whiten teeth?
When asked whether it is possible to whiten teeth with soda, dentists admit that – yes, there is an effect, and is noticeable after the first procedures, and its degree depends on whether it was possible to remove the cause of plaque. If not, then cleaning will give results only with periodic use. Given the composition of soda, and even more so, in combination with components such as lemon or fruit acid, teeth should be treated before the procedure.
Cleaning with soda is contraindicated in:
- enamel damage;
- high tooth sensitivity;
- bleeding gums;
- diseases of the oral cavity;
- the presence of retainers or brackets, soda dissolves the orthodontic layer.
How to whiten teeth with baking soda?
There is nothing difficult in how to whiten your teeth with soda, but you must follow a few rules. Start the procedure with 1-2 minutes, gradually increasing the duration. You can’t press hard, the enamel won’t be cleaned better, and soda can scratch it a lot. Use a soft toothbrush to avoid damaging your gums as well.
There are 3 ways to whiten your teeth with baking soda:
- Use dry powder.
- Dilute 1 to 1 with water.
- Mix baking soda with lemon, salt, grated bananas or hydrogen peroxide.
How to properly whiten your teeth with baking soda:
- Rub your teeth for no more than 5 minutes, it is better to take not a brush, but a cotton pad.
- Carry out the procedure 1 time in 7-10 days.
- Swipe over teeth with light strokes.
- If the gums bleed, stop the procedure.
Teeth whitening with baking soda and peroxide
One of the most famous recipes is teeth whitening with soda and hydrogen peroxide, the enamel is perfectly cleaned of plaque, but keep in mind that the mixture is very aggressive for it. The effectiveness is explained by the fact that soda brightens and cleanses, and peroxide fixes the result. Apply to teeth with a cotton pad, not a brush.
Doctors note that this mixture is not suitable for everyone, it can not be used:
- pregnant women;
- nursing mothers;
- those who wear braces.
In addition, teeth whitening with soda and peroxide is prohibited when:
- bronchial asthma;
- thinned enamel;
- gum disease;
- exposed tooth roots.
How to whiten your teeth with baking soda and peroxide
- peroxide solution 3% – 0.5 tsp;
- soda – 1 teaspoon.
- Mix soda and peroxide into a homogeneous, thick mass.
- Apply to a cotton swab.
- Gently rub your teeth for no more than 4 minutes.
- Rinse your mouth thoroughly.
Teeth whitening with baking soda and lemon
Another popular teeth whitening is baking soda and lemon, the mixture recipe is very simple. The compound is also aggressive, since soda particles can scratch the enamel, and the caustic acid of lemon can corrode it if there is damage. Therefore, before such a cleaning, you must definitely prepare your teeth in advance. These components can also be used separately by dipping a toothbrush in baking soda or lemon juice.
How to Whiten Your Teeth with Baking Soda and Lemon
- soda – 0.5 tsp;
- lemon juice – 1 tbsp. a spoon.
- Mix baking soda and lemon juice into a bowl.
- Apply to a cotton or gauze pad.
- Brush your teeth without pressing, 2-4 minutes.
- Rinse your mouth well.
Teeth whitening with citric acid and soda
Cleaning with citric acid and soda gives a similar effect, you can use any acid from natural fruits, kiwi or strawberries are also suitable. If you are looking for how to whiten your teeth with soda at home, then this method is one of the most effective, but at the same time very unsafe, since it increases the sensitivity of the teeth. Therefore, such a procedure is allowed only once every 2-3 months.
How to whiten your teeth with baking soda and citric acid
- soda – 1 teaspoon;
- water – 1 teaspoon;
- citric acid crystals – 10 pcs.
- Mix soda and citric acid.
- Dilute with water, apply on a swab.
- Carefully rub the teeth for 1-3 minutes.
- Rinse your mouth.
Teeth whitening with vinegar and baking soda
Used baking soda to whiten teeth and in combination with vinegar. Apple is suitable, as it is softer, with a fruity aroma to soften the unpleasant taste. Smokers are advised by doctors to give up cigarettes for several days after cleaning, or at least rinse their mouth after each smoking to wash away the remaining tar. On the cleaned surface, they settle much faster.
How to Whiten Your Teeth with Baking Soda and Vinegar
- soda – 1 teaspoon;
- vinegar – 0.5 tsp.
- Mix baking soda and vinegar to the consistency of toothpaste.
- Apply to teeth, leave for 5-10 minutes.
- Rinse your mouth, brush your teeth with paste.
Teeth whitening with baking soda and toothpaste
The cheapest way is to whiten your teeth with soda and paste, these ingredients are always at hand. Dentists advise using such a mixture no more than 1 time per week, it is advisable to choose a paste with fluorine, which gives additional protection to the enamel. In this case, you can use a toothbrush, but not hard, and do not put too much pressure on it.
Recipe for whitening teeth with baking soda and toothpaste
- soda – 0.25 tsp;
- toothpaste – 0.5 cm.
- Dilute baking soda in toothpaste.
- Transfer to a brush, brush your teeth for 3-4 minutes.
- Rinse your mouth with water.
Teeth whitening with baking soda and coconut oil
With the appearance of exotic fruits on sale, beauties discovered another useful novelty for themselves – home whitening of teeth with soda and coconut oil. This fat perfectly dissolves tartar, destroys microbes and removes plaque, thanks to lauric acid. It is also advised to use it for the prevention of caries, getting rid of bad breath. You just need to hold the oil in your mouth for 5-10 minutes, then rinse. But a mixture with soda and mint is much more effective.
How to Whiten Your Teeth with Baking Soda and Coconut Oil
- soda – 2 tbsp. spoons;
- coconut oil – 2 tbsp. spoons;
- peppermint ether – 10 drops.
- Mix the ingredients into a mixture close to toothpaste.
- Apply to the brush, brush your teeth for 3-5 minutes.
- Rinse your mouth.
Strawberries and baking soda for teeth whitening
The most delicious soda teeth whitening recipe on the list is with the addition of strawberries. This berry contains not only useful enzymes, but also salicylic and malic acids, which make the enamel lighter by one tone already during the first cleaning. You can use a brush, but with soft bristles, even fresh fruit acid is not so safe in combination with soda particles.
How to whiten your teeth with baking soda and strawberries
- soda – 0.5 tsp;
- strawberries – 2-3 pcs.
- Mash the berries in a puree, mix with soda.
- Put the mixture on the brush, smear your teeth.
- Leave for 5-7 minutes, rinse with water.
- Brush your teeth with fluoride toothpaste.