What is aphthous or ulcerative stomatitis, the treatment of such inflammation, healers knew many years ago, then they used home-made ointments and herbal decoctions. Now there are many other effective drugs that guarantee a quick recovery, the main thing is to capture the disease in the initial stages. If the disease is started, the bubbles on the oral mucosa can turn into erosion.
What is ulcerative stomatitis?
Aphthous stomatitis manifests itself in the form of sores in the mouth on the gum, there can be from 3 to 10 pieces, depending on the degree of mucosal damage. This disease is not contagious, although doctors advise not to forget about separate dishes for the patient. Ulcers are palpable, both with fingers and with the tongue, the touch is given by pain and burning. The same reaction – from cold or hot food.
Causes of ulcerative stomatitis
Treatment of ulcerative stomatitis is prescribed after determining its type, there are acute, provoked by a virus, and chronic, which can be caused by staphylococci, adenoviruses or allergies, immune diseases. Doctors are still not sure, but most tend to believe that such inflammation of the mucosa always occurs with a weakened immune system.
What are the official causes of aphthous stomatitis:
- Injuries. Unsuccessful prosthetics, the use of incompatible materials in dental treatment.
- Infections. One of the most difficult – ulcerative necrotic stomatitis treatment requires special treatment, since it is provoked by a symbiosis of pathogens: fusiform bacillus and Vincent’s spirochete.
- Chemical damage. Drying of the mucosa is caused by toothpastes with sodium lauryl sulfate.
- Thermal burns.
- Dental plaque and tartar.
- Dysbacteriosis of the oral cavity.
- Launched catarrhal stomatitis.
What is dangerous ulcerative stomatitis?
The first symptoms of ulcerative stomatitis, the treatment of which many patients begin with rinses, at first do not cause much concern. Redness, swelling of the gums and interdental areas are of little concern at first, but after 2-3 days rounded sores with a grayish-white coating begin to appear in these places. Any touch to them causes severe pain.
Dentists especially note the danger of ulcerative stomatitis in the mouth:
- scarring of the gums with root exposure.
Drug treatment of aphthous stomatitis
During treatment, doctors immediately try to remove pain and inflammation, the main emphasis is on antiseptic treatment to destroy viruses. Some patients immediately try to start treating ulcerative stomatitis with antibiotics, but this further depresses the immune system and worsens the condition of the mucosa. Antibiotics are prescribed only in difficult cases.
What drugs are used for ulcerative stomatitis:
- Antiseptics – Chlorhexidine, Miramistin, Hexoral, Hepilor. Sprays, gels, solutions are used for rinsing and applications.
- Healing compounds – Metrogil Denta, Solcoseryl. Use mixtures with painkillers Lidocaine, Trimecaine, Benzocaine.
- Antibiotics – Amoxiclav, Sumamed, Augmentin. Apply if ulcers begin to grow.
- Immunostimulants – Imudon, Immunal. They support the body, help restore the mucous membrane.
Ointment for aphthous stomatitis
Of the anti-inflammatory and painkillers, doctors often prescribe ointments or gels, they help with aphthous stomatitis, but require strict adherence to the dosage. It is very important to brush your teeth during treatment, but brushes with very soft bristles should be used. It is recommended to choose toothpastes with licorice, lactic ferments in order to restore the microflora.
- Oxolinic ointment. Copes with many viruses, you need a drug with a concentration of the main substance of 0.25. It is recommended to use 2-4 times a day, lubricating the inflamed areas.
- Nystatin. Based on an antifungal antibiotic, it is not addictive. Do not use during pregnancy, problems with the liver, pancreas. The ointment is taken 5%, used in tiny doses, 1-2 times a day, no more than 3 days.
- Methyluracil. It restores the mucous membrane, removes pain and inflammation, it is recommended even for children. Prohibited for cancer patients. Apply three times a day for 15 minutes. before meals and at bedtime.
Solutions for aphthous stomatitis
Includes treatment of ulcerative acute stomatitis procedures for the restoration of the epithelium. To do this, rinse solutions are prescribed, which not only disinfect, but also heal the mucous membrane. Herbal decoctions can also be used, but special medicinal formulations are much more effective.
Painful aphthae in the mouth – treatment with solutions:
- Stomatofit. Created on herbs of chamomile, sage, thyme, mint, calamus and arnica, the astringent effect is provided by oak bark and essential oils. For treatment, a solution is made – 10 ml of the drug per 0.25 tbsp. water, rinse 2-3 times a day for about 2 weeks.
- Chlorhexidine. For the treatment of stomatitis, a solution with a concentration of 0.05% is taken, it is necessary to rinse twice a day, for at least 2 minutes. per session. Then do not eat for 2 hours. The course is designed for 10 days.
- Miramistin. Destroys both viruses and fungi, you need a solution with a 0.01% concentration. Since it is not absorbed into the blood, it is allowed during pregnancy and lactation. You need to rinse 4 times a day, a course per week.
Tablets from aphthous stomatitis
Dentists give recommendations on how to cure aphthae in the mouth with tablets, they relieve pain and disinfect saliva. They need to be absorbed, not swallowed, the effect lasts from 10 to 20 minutes. Such drugs are advised to be used at the first sign of recurrence of chronic aphthous stomatitis. Can be combined with rinses.
What tablets are recommended to use:
- Hexoral Tabs – a combination of anesthetic with Chlorhexidine, benzocaine anesthetizes. They are complemented by menthol and mint. The effect is felt after 10-15 seconds, but it does not last too long.
- hexalysis – includes biclotymol, lysozyme and enoxolone, no more than 8 tablets can be consumed per day. The course of treatment is up to 10 days.
Folk remedies for the treatment of aphthous stomatitis
Much slower, but ulcerative stomatitis can be treated with folk remedies, they help more effectively in the early stages. The most common recipe is rinsing with sea salt, you can add aloe juice, such a solution quickly relieves inflammation and heals the mucous membrane. It is better to replace water with a decoction of chamomile.
Proven folk recipes:
- Green tea. For rinsing, brew 2 teaspoons per 1 tbsp. water, the number of procedures is not limited.
- Raw potatoes. Grate the tubers, measure out 1 tbsp. spoon, hold in your mouth for 5 minutes. Repeat no more than 2 times a day for about a week.
- Carrot juice. Dilute in half with water, rinse every 2-3 hours.
Herbs for ulcerative stomatitis
Another old way to treat aphthae in the mouth is with aloe. A fresh leaf must be kept in the cold for a week to concentrate the beneficial substances. Then the skin is cut off, the pulp is pressed to the affected area, you need to keep it for 10-15 minutes. You can use the juice of the plant, for this the leaf is ground and squeezed.
Recommended herbal decoctions for ulcerative stomatitis:
- Chamomile. Brew 2-3 tbsp. spoons of herbs for 1 tbsp. boiling water, insist half an hour. Rinse 5-6 times a day.
- Combined fee. 1 teaspoon of calendula, sage, chamomile, St. John’s wort, oak bark are mixed, pour 1 tbsp. hot water. After 15 min. filter, rinse do 3-4 times a day.
- Yarrow. Pour 1 tbsp. a spoonful of herbs 1 tbsp. boiling water, insist 15 minutes, rinse 1-2 times a day.
Oils for ulcerative stomatitis
At different times, different peoples had their own recipes for treating ulcerative stomatitis with essential oils. The Indians preferred basil, the Arabs – a mixture of mastic, in Russia they chose oils of cedar and pine. Now, with aphthous stomatitis, oils of lemon, orange, clove, fir, tea tree, sage, eucalyptus are recommended.
Ways to cure ulcerative stomatitis with oils:
- Rinsing. Dilute 2-3 drops per 1 tbsp. warm water, rinse twice a day.
- Compresses. Dilute by 0.25 tbsp. water 2-3 drops of oil, moisten a swab, apply to the gums for 10 minutes. Do the procedure 2-3 times a day.
- Application. Grate 4 tbsp. spoons of beeswax, heat in the bath. Add 1 tbsp. a spoonful of vegetable oil, cool. Pour in 15 drops of essential oil, mix thoroughly. Seal the bottle, store in a dark place. Spread in portions on a swab, press to inflamed areas, hold for 10 minutes. Apply 1-2 times a day.