A snow-white smile today is the main component of the image and status of a modern person. Achieving it is not an easy task, and it is also expensive. In order not to waste time and money on trips to the doctor, many resort to tricks, using whitening strips for teeth. What are they and what effect do they create?
How do teeth whitening strips work?
The principle of operation is based on the action of the component that is part of this drug. As a rule, they are hydrogen peroxide – a well-known solvent. Peroxide gel begins to produce active electrically charged oxygen particles after the integrity of the package is broken. Thanks to this, a powerful oxidizing effect is achieved – this is how whitening strips for teeth work.
Once on the surface of the outer protective shell of the tooth, the active substances begin their work, destroying pigment organics and providing high-quality clarification. At the same time, they are not able to get into the deep layers of bone tissue and spoil the dentin. It will not be possible to achieve teeth whitening in this way, as in the dentist’s office, but manufacturers guarantee that they will become three to four shades whiter.
Teeth whitening strips – contraindications
Experts note that this medical drug has a gentle effect, but it is not without contraindications, which include:
- Any diseases of the oral cavity, especially affecting the gums and periodontium.
- The presence in the oral cavity of foreign objects – braces, overlays. It must be remembered that whitening strips for teeth act exclusively on “native” enamel and do not affect fillings, extended teeth, implants, and prostheses.
- Pregnancy and lactation.
- Dental strips should not be used for children and adolescents until they have completely replaced milk teeth with molars.
- Hypersensitivity to the components of the drug.
- Some diseases of the internal organs – the gastrointestinal tract, the cardiovascular system. People with mental disorders, epilepsy, bronchial asthma are also not recommended to use whitening strips for teeth.
How to choose whitening strips?
Experts recommend to be guided by the following criteria:
- The result you want to get. All drugs are different. Some are suitable for beginners and have a gentle effect, while others are designed for those who have already completed the whitening course and would like to maintain the achieved effect.
- Available features. If a person has sensitive enamel, then he needs to choose the appropriate drug, acting gently and carefully.
- Brand fame. Well, if he has already managed to establish himself in the market, has all the necessary certificates and documents confirming the quality of products.
- Positive reviews. It is better to get acquainted with the information on the network before buying, to find out what other people write about this or that tool. This will help you choose the best teeth whitening strips.
Whitening strips for teeth – types
According to the concentration and type of active ingredients, teeth whitening strips are divided into:
- Sparing. They should be chosen by people with sensitive enamel that reacts to chilled, high-temperature and acidic foods. They safely brighten the protective surface of the bone tissue and do not cause unpleasant side effects.
- Standard. In them, the concentration of active substances is selected taking into account the expectations of the majority of buyers and corresponds to the norm. They can become a permanent oral care product and be used as needed.
- Powerful. They have an increased concentration of the active ingredient. Such a drug is recommended for use with strong pigmentation and large accumulations of tartar. It performs emergency whitening and can be used if you want to achieve an instant result, for example, for an event.
- Fixing. It is easy to guess that they are designed to support the result obtained, to prevent unwanted darkening of the enamel due to the use of coloring foods and drinks.
Whitening strips for sensitive teeth
This problem is familiar to many. If the teeth react sharply to sour, cooled and heated food, then with a high degree of probability they can be considered sensitive. It is better for such people to use atraumatic strips for teeth. The main active ingredient in them is not hydrogen peroxide, but activated carbon. It acts delicately and is suitable for both beginners and those with sensitive enamel. Such a product has a minimum of contraindications and is completely safe for health.
Whitening strips for teeth – rating of the best
Among the most popular types among users are:
- Teeth whitening strips Inopro. Developed using patented US technology, they work harmlessly and efficiently. Due to the presence of natural active ingredients, lightening takes place delicately. Using strips for 30 minutes a day for a week, you can achieve lightening by 2-3 tones.
- Crest teeth whitening strips. The manufacturer claims that his brainchild is able to cope with its task even better than a professional dentist. A whole line of products allows you to choose the most effective teeth whitening strips, depending on how many tones you want to brighten your smile.
- Teeth whitening strips 3d white Blend-a-Med. A well-known brand on the Russian market that produces both toothpaste and strips. This is a budget drug that allows many to carry out home clarification of the protective surface of the dentin by several tones. The composition of the drug includes moisturizers, soothing and restoring the acid-base balance of the components.
- Teeth whitening strips Global White. The main active ingredient is hydrogen peroxide, which breaks down the pigments that give color to the enamel, thereby ensuring its whiteness. For the manufacture of the product, a high-quality elastic material is used that exactly repeats the shape of the teeth.
How to use dental strips?
The procedure here is:
- Carefully read the instructions for the drug.
- Dry your teeth. You can use a dry paper towel for this.
- Remove one strip and remove the protective film from it. Fix on the top row with the sticky side to the teeth, avoiding contact with the gums.
- Repeat the same steps for the bottom row.
- Wrap the edges of the strip on the inside of the teeth.
- Withstand the time indicated in the instructions without swallowing saliva, without interrupting the use of coffee, tea, cigarettes, and any food.
- After the set time has elapsed, remove the whitening strips for teeth – here’s how to use this drug.
How often can teeth be whitened?
If you strictly follow all the recommendations and act according to the instructions, you can extend the effect to 1-1.5 years. This is how often you can whiten your teeth, but a lot here will depend on the type of strips, the concentration of active ingredients in them and the condition of the enamel. If a person smokes, often drinks alcohol, likes strong tea and coffee, he may need the procedure more often. On this occasion, it is better to consult a doctor, because uncontrolled use can lead to undesirable and serious consequences, which will not be easy to correct, if not impossible.
Teeth whitening strips – pros and cons
Like any health intervention, budget teeth whitening strips have their pros and cons. The benefits include:
- Possibility of application at home. This is very convenient, because you do not need to waste time going to the doctor.
- On sale you can find a variety of types of such products – atraumatic strips for whitening teeth and powerful tools, which makes it possible to adjust the action and the expected result.
- Ease of use. Everyone can deal with them.
- Free sale and affordable price.
Of the minuses can be noted:
- Uselessness of use with a large number of fillings, aesthetic restorations of enamel.
- A large number of restrictions associated with eating and drinking, compliance with other rules.
- The presence of contraindications.
- Uneven whitening or no visible effect if used incorrectly.
- Increased tooth sensitivity, especially in the first few days.
- Opponents of such a tool argue that over time, tooth enamel can become thinner and teeth can even collapse, but experts say that it is difficult to harm your health with strips.