It is important to understand how to choose the right sunscreen, because health depends on it. High-quality sunscreen safely and reliably protects the skin of the face and body from the harmful effects of ultraviolet radiation. In addition, sunscreen must be used correctly. Otherwise, it will weaken its protective properties.
How to choose the right sunscreen?
It is very important to thoroughly understand this issue. Understanding how to choose a sunscreen will help you buy a quality product that does not contain harmful ingredients, and this will minimize the likelihood of an allergic reaction. In addition, a well-chosen sunscreen will protect against the dangerous effects of ultraviolet radiation, which manifests itself as follows:
- Skin cancer develops.
- Age spots and other manifestations of photoaging appear.
- The epidermis thickens and begins to peel off strongly.
- Wrinkles appear prematurely.
- Rashes appear on the skin, outwardly similar to allergies.
Composition of sun cream
There are currently two types of sunscreens: chemical and physical. The former contain substances that absorb ultraviolet radiation. However, this mechanism of action is unsafe, because it provokes the development and rapid growth of cancer cells. In addition, often the chemicals present in sunscreens provoke hormonal imbalance, which leads to violations in sexual development and the formation of intrauterine birth defects in unborn children. More often, sunscreens of this type contain the following filters:
- Octinoxate – a substance that exhibits estrogenic properties. Due to the small size of the molecule, it can penetrate the dermis and even enter the bloodstream. Octinoxate has a direct effect on the reproductive system. However, these substances increase the risk of developing cancer.
- Oxybenzone – a component that causes hormonal failure.
- Avobenzone A substance that absorbs ultraviolet radiation. The accumulated light energy is converted into chemical energy: it remains in the body in the form of free radicals.
Sunscreen may also contain physical ingredients. Such substances, unlike chemical filters, reflect radiation back into the atmosphere. Features of sunscreens of this type is that the components contained in their composition have a beneficial effect on the skin. More often in sunscreens there are the following physical filters:
- zinc oxide – a mineral compound involved in the production of cells. This component strengthens the body’s defense system and strengthens hair, heals the skin. It is worth noting that zinc oxide does not penetrate into the systemic circulation, but remains on the surface of the epidermis.
- Titanium dioxide – a chalk mineral with a high reflectivity. This substance does not provoke the development of allergies. In addition, titanium dioxide does not contribute to the formation of acne and does not irritate them.
What is SPF in sunscreen?
The short answer is sunscreen. To understand what SPF is in a cream, the following example will help. If an SPF filter is indicated on the sunscreen, this means that after applying such a cream to the skin, sunbathing in 10 minutes, the protection of the epidermis will be provided for 40 minutes. When SPF 30 sunscreen is applied to fair skin that burns in 5 minutes, protection is provided for approximately 150 minutes.
In other words, the index indicated on the sunscreen packaging is the value by which you need to multiply the time, how long a person is able to be in the sun and not burn out. Each SPF cream contains its own. This indicator can vary from 1 to 100. It is logical to conclude that the higher the value, the more reliable the protection. However, an individual approach is also needed here: it is unreasonable to buy the first sunscreen with a high index that comes across.
How to choose sunscreen for the body?
Such a cosmetic product will save the skin from burns, increased dryness and peeling. When choosing a sun tanning cream, you should give preference to a safe and reliable product. In addition, the phototype of a person must be taken into account:
- Scandinavian – is highly sensitive to ultraviolet radiation. People with this type of skin burn quickly in the sun, so when going to the beach, it is better for them to purchase an SPF 50 sunscreen.
- Nordic – the skin is pale, but less susceptible to ultraviolet radiation than that of the “Scandinavians”. People with this phototype can use a sunscreen with SPF 40 at the beginning of the beach season, gradually reducing to an index of 30.
- Central European – dark-skinned people from birth. However, even they need sun protection. Going to the beach, you should give preference to a cream with SPF 10.
- Mediterranean – representatives with swarthy skin, somewhat darker than those of the “Central Europeans”. Such people can do with sunscreen with an index of 5.
When choosing a sun tanning cream, it is important to take into account the lifestyle of a person. For example, for those who cannot imagine life without coffee or strong tea, smoke and sometimes indulge in alcohol, it is advisable to purchase a sunscreen with a high index. In addition, it is recommended that the sunscreen contains moisturizing ingredients, vitamin C and ingredients with an anti-inflammatory effect.
How to choose sunscreen for face?
When choosing a sunscreen, it is important to make sure that it suits your skin type. In addition, a face cream with SPF must meet the following requirements:
- Be safe. The composition of such a product should not contain lanolin alcohol, isoparaffin, decyloleate and hexylene glycol. After applying a cream containing such substances, an oily “film” will appear on the skin: it will clog pores and cause acne.
- Provide maximum protection. A quality sunscreen will protect you from both UVB and UVA rays. A high protection sunscreen will contain SPF and PA (PPD) filters.
- Match the UV index in the region in which the person is located.
When choosing sunscreens, it is wiser to give preference to products of well-known brands. Such companies value their reputation, therefore they strictly control each production stage. Marriage and low quality products for leading brands are unacceptable! In addition, the rating will help to figure out which sunscreen is better. It includes the highest quality and most reliable sunscreens.
Sunscreen for adults – rating
This list contains the most sought-after sunscreen products by buyers. All these products are of high quality. Sunscreen for adults – TOP-5:
- La Roche-Posay Anthelios Shaka Ultralight Fluid SPF 50+. Sunscreen is suitable for all skin types. Contains UVA and UVB filters. The fluid is easily distributed over the skin, leaves no residue.
- Cream L’Oréal Paris Sublime Sun SPF 30. Sunscreen provides extra protection. The product is hypoallergenic. The cream has a light aroma and a delicate light texture.
- FarmStay AloeVera PerfectSun Cream SPF50+. Korean-made products containing physical and chemical filters. The cream protects against sunburn, pigmentation and photoaging. Does not cause breakouts.
- Fluid Vichy Capital Soleil SPF 50. This product contains minerals and moisturizing ingredients. The fluid is hypoallergenic. Protects the skin from harmful UV rays and provides moisture for 24 hours.
- Floresan Anti-Sun Whitening Cream SPF 35. Although this is a budget option, the product is of high quality. It contains Shea and coconut oils, lactic acid, cucumber extract and filters. Sunscreen reliably protects against ultraviolet radiation, moisturizes the skin and helps get rid of pigmentation.
Sunscreen for children – ranking of the best
When choosing a sunscreen for babies, a special approach is important. Here is a children’s sunscreen – TOP-5:
- Sunscreen for babies and children Weleda SPF 50. The cream contains no harmful ingredients, so it is suitable for delicate baby skin. There are no fragrances here. Sunscreen has a light texture.
- Mustela Sun Milk SPF 50. It is a hypoallergenic complex containing mineral compounds. Milk reliably protects delicate baby skin. Absorbs quickly.
- Cream Garnier Ambre Solaire SPF 50 Baby in the shade. It contains mineral filters. The cream can be used from the first days of life. Differs in average density and gentle texture.
- Lotion Nivea Sun Kids SPF 50+. Provides instant protection after sunscreen is applied to the skin. Due to the fact that the composition contains nourishing and moisturizing ingredients, the lotion carefully takes care of children’s skin.
- Cream SPF 50 Peek-a-boo. Sunscreen contains mineral compounds that reflect ultraviolet radiation. The cream begins to act immediately after application. Sunscreen is resistant to washing off, so it does not need constant updating.
How to use sunscreen?
It is important to follow the recommendations described in the instructions for the sunscreen. Otherwise, even an SPF 100 cream will not protect you from the harmful effects of ultraviolet radiation. The drawing rules are as follows:
- The skin needs to be covered with a sufficient amount of the product. For the face, 0.5-1 teaspoon of sunscreen is required, and for the body – 45-50 ml.
- Sunscreen should be applied 20 minutes before going out and reapplied every 2 hours.
- If the product is not moisture resistant, it is washed off after swimming in a pond, so the sunscreen will have to be applied again.
Sun cream expiration date
Information about the production date is indicated on the packaging. It also fixes how long the sunscreen retains its original properties. Most often, the expiration date is 1.5-2 years. However, this indicator is relevant under the condition of complete tightness of the package. The shelf life of sunscreen after opening is reduced, because its components react with oxygen and other substances. In most cases, after depressurization, sunscreen can be used for no more than 12 months.