Ointment for gums is a popular tool widely used in dentistry. Medicines in this group may have wound healing, anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects. In addition, they help to cope with periodontal disease and periodontitis, and facilitate teething.
What are gum ointments?
The modern pharmaceutical industry offers a huge variety of drugs used in the treatment of dental diseases. At the same time, oil-based ointment for gums is used very rarely: mainly for applications. Preparations of this form of release have their drawbacks:
- Due to the too dense texture, the drug is difficult to apply to the mucous membrane. It is impossible to distribute the composition evenly. And besides, the ointment is very quickly washed off with saliva.
- A remedy for gum disease on a fatty basis is ineffective, since the active substances contained in it do not fully penetrate into the affected tissues.
More often in dental practice, gels are used. Such medicines are water-based, so they have a light texture. Such drugs for the treatment of gums have the following advantages:
- Ease of use;
- impact directly on the inflamed area (the minimum amount of the agent penetrates the gastrointestinal tract);
- fast-acting effect.
Ointment for gums must meet the following criteria:
- It is desirable that the drug used for children has a pleasant taste.
- When choosing a medication for the treatment of dental diseases in adult patients, priority is given to what is convenient to use and effective.
Ointments for periodontitis and periodontal disease
These diseases of the oral cavity have something in common: they affect periodontal tissues. They have much more differences. Here is some of them:
- clinical picture. With periodontitis, there is severe bleeding of the gums and loosening of the teeth. Periodontal disease in most cases is asymptomatic.
- Tissue damage. For periodontitis, an inflammatory process is characteristic, and for periodontal disease, it is dystrophic.
- The intensity of the development of pathology. The acute stage of periodontitis lasts no more than a month. As for periodontal disease, it can last for years.
The tactics of treatment of these dental diseases also differ. Therapy for periodontal disease is represented by such a set of procedures:
- improvement of blood circulation;
- vitamin therapy;
- oral hygiene;
- therapy of chronic processes.
Periodontitis treatment includes the following procedures:
- removal of deposits;
- antibacterial therapy;
- splinting (with loosening of teeth).
With dystrophic tissue damage, the following local drugs can be prescribed:
With periodontitis, such an ointment for gums from inflammation is more often prescribed.:
- Metrogil Denta;
Pain relief ointment for gums
These medicines contain an anesthetic. All medicines in this group can be conditionally divided into three categories:
- Cooling gum treatment ointment containing lidocaine. After applying such a drug, the analgesic effect occurs within a few minutes and can last up to 8 hours. More often they prescribe Holisal, Kamistad.
- Anti-inflammatory gel, which does not contain lidocaine. In most cases, Asepta, Metrogil Denta, Parodontocide are prescribed.
- Homeopathic preparations. The composition of such medicines contains herbal ingredients. They also eliminate inflammatory processes and stop pain. A common remedy in the fight against dental diseases, accompanied by painful sensations, is the drug Traumeel S.
Ointment for healing gums
The mucosa can be affected in such diseases:
- aphthous or herpetiform stomatitis;
Given such a variety of diseases, it is very important to choose the right remedy, otherwise there will be no relief. A healing ointment for gums is more often used like this:
Ointment for gums during teething
Medicines of this group must be in the first-aid kit of young parents. They are a real lifesaver, quickly eliminating discomfort. Anesthetics are present in the composition of such drugs, due to which these drugs act locally without entering the systemic circulation. Ointment for gums, used during teething, has the following effect:
- reduces puffiness;
- removes inflammation;
- reduces itching.
When teeth are cut in a child, gum ointment can be used as follows:
- Dentol baby;
Ointments to strengthen the gums
Medicines of this group improve blood circulation, so that tissue cells receive more nutrients. At the same time, regeneration processes are accelerated. As a result, the teeth do not loosen or fall out. If gum strengthening is required, drugs are prescribed as follows:
The best ointments for gums
The range of dental gels is huge. Such drugs differ in their composition and principle of action. Ointments and gels for gums are chosen taking into account the problem that has arisen. These medicines may have the following effects:
- stop bleeding;
- relieve inflammation;
- fight pathogenic bacteria;
- facilitate teething.
Only an experienced dentist can choose the right ointment for the affected gums. The specialist will not only prescribe the medication, but also give instructions on how to properly apply the gel. The algorithm of actions is as follows:
- They brush their teeth.
- Rinse your mouth with chamomile infusion (to prepare it for a glass of water you will need a teaspoon of dry inflorescences)
- Wash hands thoroughly with soap and dry them dry.
- The gel application area is lightly wiped with a clean paper towel (so the drug will be better kept on the gum).
- The gel is applied to the problem area (literally a pea) and rubbed.
- In the next 40 minutes after the procedure, you can not eat or drink.
Ointment for gums Metrogil Denta
This is a combined antimicrobial drug, which contains two main components:
- Chlorhexidine – a substance with an antiseptic effect;
- Metronidazole is an antibacterial component.
Thanks to this unique composition, this drug effectively copes with the following dental problems:
Ointment for gum inflammation Metrogyl Denta is intended for topical use. It is prescribed for adult patients. It is forbidden to use the drug for pregnant women and women during lactation! The duration of therapy depends on the severity of the development of dental disease. On average, treatment lasts 10-14 days. In chronic forms of the disease, 2-3 times a year, it is recommended to take preventive courses.
Ointment for gums Holisal
This drug has anti-inflammatory, analgesic, antipyretic effect. It contains the following components:
- cetalkonium chloride – an antiseptic that adversely affects pathogenic bacteria, fungi and viruses;
- choline salicylate is a component with anti-inflammatory and mild analgesic effect.
This gum treatment starts working just minutes after it is applied. In this case, the therapeutic effect can persist for 6-8 hours. This ointment is prescribed for periodontitis, gingivitis, stomatitis and other dental diseases. In addition, this tool is used to reduce discomfort during teething in adults and children over three years old.
Asepta gum ointment
This gel in its composition contains propolis, rich in vitamin and mineral complex (vitamins of groups B, C, D, calcium and other valuable elements). Thanks to this unique selection of components, the drug successfully fights infectious and inflammatory processes in the oral cavity. Gel for gums Asepta with propolis is prescribed as an aid in the treatment of gingivitis and trophic ulcers on the mucous membrane. In most cases, the therapeutic course lasts 1.5-2 weeks, while the drug should be applied 2-3 times a day.
Ointment for gums Solcoseryl
This drug contains deproteinized blood dialysate, rich in nucleotides, amino acids and other useful substances. Due to this, this drug has the following properties:
- increases the transport of oxygen and nutrients to the cells of damaged tissues;
- accelerates regeneration;
- restores the processes occurring in the tissues.
This gum remedy is prescribed in such cases:
- mechanical damage to the gums;
- burns (thermal or chemical);
- weeping wounds;
- ulcers on the mucous membrane;
- pathology of the salivary glands.
Although it is more often used to strengthen the gums, it is often used for herpes or cracked lips, as well as for sticking in the corners of the mouth. Before applying this drug, the damaged surface is treated with a disinfectant, for example, Chlorhexidine or Miramistin. Based on the accompanying instructions, the gel is applied twice a day. However, in severe cases of the development of pathology, the use of the drug three times a day is allowed.
Ointment for gums Kamistad
This is an antiseptic gel with an anesthetic effect. The mechanism of its action is due to the presence of such substances:
- Lidocaine – a component that reduces pain;
- chamomile extract – an ingredient that stops the inflammatory process and activates tissue regeneration.
Like a remedy for bleeding gums, this drug has its own indications for use. It is prescribed for:
- irritation of the mucous membrane, provoked by wearing dental braces;
- postoperative oral care after maxillofacial surgery.
If inflammation of the gums is detected, drugs, like Kamistad, are applied in doses to the affected surface. A strip of such a gel should not exceed 5 mm. After application, the medicine is rubbed into the gums or mucous membranes with light massaging movements. The recommended therapy regimen is 3 procedures per day. The duration of the course is individual: it depends on the severity of the course of the disease.
Heparin ointment for gums
The main components of this medication are as follows:
- heparin – a substance that prevents blood clotting;
- benzocaine – an anesthetic;
- benzyl nicotinate – a component that enhances blood circulation.
All recommendations should be given by a doctor. The dentist will not only explain what ointment to treat the gums with, but also tell you how to use this drug correctly. The drug is applied to the affected area with a cotton swab or applications are made (the teeth are preliminarily brushed and the mouth rinsed with a rinse aid). Procedures are performed 2-3 times a day for a week.