A problem such as bruising on the legs for no reason in women may indicate health complications that are within the competence of a hematologist, gynecologist, phlebologist, hepatologist or other doctors. To understand who to turn to, you need to analyze all the disturbing factors.
Why do bruises appear on the legs for no reason?
Having discovered a new hematoma, women may wonder why bruises appear on their legs and try to identify the factor that causes this problem. The fact that bruises on the legs of women appear for no reason is fundamentally wrong, there is a culprit factor, only it is not so obvious as to immediately notice and realize it. The problem should be taken especially seriously if hematomas occur frequently and there are many of them. The main factors for the appearance of bruising on the legs for no apparent reason:
- fragility or excessive permeability of blood vessels;
- reduced blood viscosity due to a decrease in the number of platelets – this phenomenon is often found in women in the premenstrual period.
The appearance of hematomas on the legs in women for no apparent reason can be explained by:
- old age – in people in the process of aging, the vascular system suffers first, the elasticity of the walls of blood vessels decreases, bruises often appear;
- colds – with a viral infection, the permeability of the walls of blood vessels increases, bruising appears;
- taking certain medications – drugs that thin the blood (Heparin, Thrombo ASS, Aspirin), increase the fragility of blood vessels (Ibuprofen, Ketanov, Diclofenac, some corticosteroids, antidepressants, anti-asthma drugs).
Bruises on the legs – skin features
One of the factors when bruises appear on the legs for no reason is the special structure of the skin. Women often have thin skin with closely spaced capillaries underneath. Any, even an insignificant touch, can cause hematomas, and a woman may not even remember that she hit. With thin skin with fragile superficial capillaries, bruises on the legs for no reason in women can appear after:
- massage, especially anti-cellulite;
- depilation or shugaring;
- strong sunburn;
- unsuccessful pressing or scratching.
Bruises on the legs when losing weight
Ugly bruises on the legs are not at all the changes that a woman on a strict diet wants to see. But such an outcome is quite possible if a lady who wants to lose weight limits her diet too much and there is a lack of vitamins A, C, P and K, which are responsible for the elasticity of the walls of blood vessels. Malnutrition can also be the root cause of the lack of important elements – selenium, calcium, cobalt, which are also responsible for the health of blood vessels.
Bruising on legs after running
Sometimes in women during the run or after it, the vessels on the legs burst and bruises appear. This is a consequence of increased load on the lower extremities, weakness of the capillary walls or reduced blood viscosity. If a woman’s blood and vessels are generally in order, she may have taken on too high a load for herself, for example, too long a distance, or her weight is too high for running.
Bruises on the legs during pregnancy
During pregnancy, bruising on the legs often appears, this phenomenon can be due to several serious reasons:
- increased load on the legs due to increased weight;
- lack of necessary substances that the child “takes”;
- changes in hormonal balance (the same cause causes bruising on the legs for no reason in women in menopause).
Bruises on the legs – a sign of what disease?
The cases described above, when bruises on the legs appear on their own, occur due to a non-systemic failure and after corrective actions are taken, the situation is corrected. In some cases, the etiology of the appearance of hematomas on the legs is more serious – it can be a serious illness, internal pathology, or genetic “inheritance”. More often than other diseases, the appearance of hematomas for no reason cause blood diseases and diseases affecting the vascular system:
- lupus erythematosus;
- von Willebrand’s disease;
- hemorrhagic vasculitis.
Bruises on the legs with varicose veins
Varicose veins are one of the diseases in which bruises appear on the legs, the reasons for this are weakening of the veins and chronic stagnation of blood. Among women, varicose veins are more common, as ladies are often addicted to walking in high heels, which provokes tension in the legs and stagnation of blood in the veins. In some cases, brownish spots taken for bruises can be a complication of varicose veins – dangerous trophic ulcers.
Bruises on the legs with hepatitis
Often a hematoma on the leg can be a sign of a serious illness – hepatitis. With this disease, the production of platelets is disrupted, due to which there is a decrease in blood clotting, a consequence of this is the manifestation of bruises on the legs. In severe cases of hepatitis and other severe liver diseases, bruising begins to appear all over the body, and the skin becomes yellowish.
Bruises on the legs with diabetes
Elevated blood sugar causes many complications and failures in the body, one of which is that bruises on the legs do not go away in a person. Violation of metabolism in diabetes mellitus leads to damage to small vessels, resulting in bruising. For bruises with this disease, dark spots caused by various dermatitis can also be taken. Skin diseases in this case occur due to impaired blood supply in the epidermis.
Bruises on the legs with leukemia
Blood disease leukemia is another of the cases when bruises appear on the legs for no reason. With leukemia, malignant changes occur in the blood, the cellular structure of platelets is disturbed, and the number of red blood cells is significantly reduced. Bruising during the disease occurs on any part of the body, but mainly on the limbs. In addition to the usual bruises with leukemia, petechiae appear on the skin – specific small bruises that look like a rash.
Bruising on the legs with HIV
Anyone who wonders why bruises appear on their own is unlikely to know that this is one of the symptoms of HIV. This virus very often causes thrombocytopenia, a low platelet count, because the infection can damage the red bone marrow and the megakaryocytes that make platelets. Sometimes the immune system of a person infected with HIV itself begins to fight platelets.
Bruises on the legs – what to do?
Before looking for an answer to the question of how to get rid of bruises on the legs, it is necessary to consult a doctor in order to exclude serious diseases, and if they are found, start treatment of the underlying pathology in a timely manner. Medical consultation is necessary if:
- the appearance of bruises is accompanied by other severe symptoms – pain, fever;
- hematomas appear with frightening regularity;
- bruises form one after another;
- at the site of the hematoma, a seal is observed and the temperature rises.
If a bruise appears, in the first hours to reduce subcutaneous bleeding, you can:
- Raise your leg to reduce blood flow in it.
- Bandage the leg so that squeezing stops the flow of blood from the damaged capillary.
- Apply an ice pack to constrict the blood vessels.
- If several bruises appear, stop taking blood-thinning drugs.
For the speedy resorption of bruises in a pharmacy, you can purchase drugs intended for this. Effectively get rid of hematomas and preparations with badyaga – Badyaga forte, Badyaga 911. These products based on plant extracts perfectly relieve swelling and inflammation, improve blood circulation in the damaged area. In addition, badyaga helps strengthen blood vessels, thereby reducing the risk of new bruises. Apply funds with badyaga 3-4 times a day until the hematoma disappears.
Are in high demand for the treatment of bruises and preparations with arnica – Arnica, Arnigel, Vitateka. These drugs effectively relieve inflammation, reduce pain. In addition, arnica products accelerate wound healing, fight pathogens. These funds are applied 2-4 times a day until the hematoma disappears. Preparations with arnica are contraindicated for pregnant, lactating women suffering from skin diseases.
Effective ointment for bruises and hematomas – Heparin. The main active ingredient of this ointment is heparin. It accelerates metabolic processes in the area of application, reduces pain, thins the blood and promotes the dissolution of formed clots. Heparin ointment is rubbed into the area of hematoma formation 3 times a day until the bruise disappears. Heparin also contains other medications – Lavenum, Trombless gel.
Well help from bruises and folk remedies:
- crushed aloe leaf – bandaged to a bruise for 8 hours;
- grated raw potatoes – a compress with this remedy is done at night;
- cabbage leaf – it is bandaged to the damaged area;
- iodine mesh – it is drawn until the bruise disappears;
- black or blue clay – it is diluted to a creamy consistency and applied to a bruise, then washed off.
To reduce the risk of bruising, you need to saturate your diet with essential vitamins and minerals. Especially useful for strengthening blood vessels:
- flax seed;
- rose hip;
- Sweet pepper;
- sea buckthorn;
- sweet cherry;
- red grapes;
- cabbage (white and Brussels sprouts).