Given the powerful antibacterial agents of the drug, the answer to the question of why zinc ointment is used has long been given by medical scientists. This tool is used to heal wounds, burns and bedsores, treat psoriasis and hemorrhoids. It differs from other drugs in that it has almost no contraindications and side effects.
What is zinc ointment?
Zinc-based therapeutic ointment is classified as a universal medicine, it copes with any inflammation and skin diseases. It is characterized by strong antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties, popular not only in medicine, but also in cosmetology. Sold in tubes or jars, with different packaging.
Zinc ointment – composition
For burns and wounds, it is necessary to create a thin, protective film, for which zinc ointment is used. At the same time, it dries the skin, draws out pus and dead epithelial cells, disinfects, corrects the production of sebaceous secretions. The drug is based on zinc oxide, auxiliary components from different manufacturers may differ.
Therapeutic ointment based on zinc oxide standardly includes:
- zinc oxide;
What is good zinc ointment?
The main advantage of this remedy is its simple composition, due to the small number of components, the medicine rarely causes allergies and side effects. Not addictive even with long-term treatment. What is zinc ointment used for? The drug was developed as a remedy for dermatological diseases, zinc dries up wounds, suppresses microbes, and reduces inflammation. The ointment can be used during pregnancy and lactation.
The mechanism of action of the drug:
- It is absorbed into the tissues, blocks the secretion of active substances in the affected areas.
- Narrows small vessels, removing this swelling.
- After a chemical reaction between zinc ions and skin proteins, a protective film appears.
The ointment does not enter the bloodstream and does not have a toxic effect on the body as a whole. But, using zinc ointment, it is worth considering some of its features:
- should not be used in place of sunscreen.
- dangerous for the mucosa.
- not effective for bacterial and fungal skin diseases.
Zinc ointment – indications for use
Taking into account what zinc ointment is used for, it is desirable to have it in every home first aid kit. The shelf life is 2 years, you need to save at a temperature of -2 to + 25 ° C, in a different mode, the medicine loses its healing properties. The drug not only restores the structure of the skin, but also increases the immunity of tissues.
- strong sensitivity to components;
- acute purulent lesions.
What indications does zinc ointment have:
- prickly heat, diaper rash;
- herpes on the lips;
- wounds, burns;
- pimples, acne;
You need to know not only what zinc ointment is used for, but also the dosage, it depends on the disease:
- from acne – 1-4 g, 4-6 times a day;
- with acne – 2 g once a day;
- from depriving – 1 g four times a day;
- with hemorrhoids – 2 g three times a day.
Zinc ointment – application
For some skin diseases, this remedy is less effective, so you need to know the diagnosis for sure by consulting a doctor, for which zinc ointment is used. Positive changes appear already on the second day, on average, the course lasts from 10 to 20 days, depending on the stage of the disease.
How to use zinc ointment correctly:
- Treat the skin with an antiseptic.
- Spread a thin layer of ointment, apply a bandage.
Zinc ointment for the face
Cosmetologists are well aware of what and how zinc ointment is used for, they often recommend using it for acne and acne. The drug helps to restore epithelial cells, dries up pustules, removes redness and greasiness of the skin, slows down the appearance of large wrinkles and smoothes small ones. The dermis becomes smooth, the relief is restored.
How zinc ointment is used in cosmetology:
- for the treatment of dry skin, the product is diluted in half with baby cream or oil;
- with acne, the ointment is applied pointwise, up to 3 times a day;
- zinc ointment for wrinkles is used, since it stimulates the production of collagen and elastin, but under the eyes, where the skin is very thin, it should not be smeared;
- zinc ointment is used for age spots, due to the ability of the product to whiten the dermis, it should be lubricated twice a day, the residues should be removed after half an hour with a swab.
Recipe for a mask with zinc ointment for acne
- zinc ointment – 20 g;
- salicylic ointment – 25 g;
- sulfuric ointment – 25 g;
- oil vitamin A – 5 drops;
- birch tar – 7 drops;
- rosemary essential oil – 2 drops.
- Mix all types of ointments.
- Add tar and vitamin A.
- Spread acne, dry, leave overnight.
- Wash off with warm water in the morning.
Zinc ointment for fungus
Zinc ointment is useful for nails affected by a fungus, but doctors do not recommend mixing it with other creams or healing gels. If these are also prescribed by a doctor, then the ointment is applied 2-3 hours after their use. Studies have shown that zinc destroys fungi very quickly, while softening keratinized skin.
How to use zinc ointment in the treatment of fungus:
- Steam legs or arms for 15 minutes. in water with potassium permanganate and soda.
- Cleanse the affected areas of the skin, dry.
- Rub the ointment, put on socks at night.
Zinc ointment for burns
There are recipes on how to use zinc ointment for burns, penetrating into tissues, the drug binds water molecules, removes pus and bacteria from the wound. But this remedy is effective only in mild degrees, when it is necessary to restore the structure of tissues and tighten the wound. If blisters form on the skin, it is better to try other drugs.
How to apply for different types of burns:
- with thermal – pour water on the injured area, then apply ointment, change the bandage 3 times a day;
- in sunny – lubricate with a thin layer 4 times a day;
- with a chemical – bandage the wound 5 times a day.
Zinc ointment for herpes
Many people know such a common disease as herpes, which often occurs on the lips. It is difficult to completely get rid of the disease, because the virus remains in the blood. But it is quite possible to remove inflammation, treatment with zinc ointment will help in this. Dermatologists prescribe it in combination with other drugs, this remedy removes itching, heals, and when the bubbles burst, it dries the affected areas, restores tissues.
How to treat herpes with zinc:
- On the first day, herpes is lubricated every hour, from the second day – every 4 hours.
- Only the affected area needs to be treated.
- From day 5, the procedure is done 4 times a day.
- The ointment should be kept on the wound for 15-20 minutes.
- Wash off the rest with soap.
Zinc ointment for psoriasis
Zinc-based ointment helps with psoriasis, this disease is also called scaly lichen, which affects different parts of the body and even the scalp. Studies have shown that a lack of zinc in the body can also be the cause, therefore, using this remedy, the patient receives a double effect. The ointment reduces inflammation, heals, and prevents the skin from cracking.
How to use zinc ointment for psoriasis:
- Take a bath, steam the body.
- Lubricate the affected areas with an antiseptic.
- Spread a thin layer of ointment, dry.
- Carry out the procedure 2-3 times a day.
Zinc ointment for bedsores
You can also use zinc ointment to treat bedsores. Such wounds are formed in bedridden patients due to poor blood circulation and lack of ventilation of the skin. When patients pinch the affected areas, the tissues become even more irritated and ulcers occur. Zinc ointment helps well in the initial stages, dries up wounds, destroys the infection, relieves swelling.
How to apply ointment for bedsores:
- Wash the patient, put rubber circles over the bedsores so that the fabric does not touch them.
- Lubricate with ointment, dry, you can bandage.
- The procedure is carried out 5-6 times a day.
Zinc ointment from jamming in the corners of the mouth
Zinc anti-jam ointment is successfully used when the skin and part of the mucous membrane in the corners of the mouth become inflamed. The scientific name – angulitis, often occurs if it is bad to wipe your mouth after eating. Stomatitis, lack of vitamins, weak immunity can also provoke the disease. You can lubricate the affected areas, but the compress for the night is much more effective.
How to apply the ointment for seizures:
- Wash your mouth, dry it.
- Put a thin layer of medicine on a swab.
- Press to the wound, fix with adhesive tape.
Zinc ointment from pinworms
Folk recipes recommend using zinc ointment for worms, its composition does not destroy parasites, but immobilizes, because it has a strong astringent, antiseptic effect. This treatment is only suitable for pinworms, as they are the only worms that crawl out at night and lay their eggs in the folds of the anus. Once in the ointment, the female cannot move and leave offspring.
How to apply ointment from worms:
- Take a shower, dry your perineum.
- Apply ointment around the anus.
- Wear thick underwear for the night.
- In the morning, wipe off the remnants of the ointment, wash and change clothes.
- The course of treatment is designed for 3 weeks, the bed needs to be changed every day.