Fixed metal constructions to correct orthodontic problems require especially meticulous cleaning. The locks that attach the systems to the teeth are ideal places with the right conditions for bacteria to live and spread, especially in the presence of stuck pieces of food.
Oral care with braces
Cleaning of the described devices and the dentition should be as thorough as possible, so it takes a lot of time and consists of several stages. Dental care with braces involves the use of the following accessories:
- Brush. With the help of this device, the chewing, outer and inner surfaces of the teeth are cleaned.
- Superfloss. The thread for holders of braces is thicker and stiffer than the standard version. It ensures the removal of food debris from the interdental spaces.
- Ershik. This accessory helps to clean the teeth under arches and locks.
When the orthodontist explains how to clean your teeth with braces, he may recommend additional tools:
- Single brush. This device effectively removes plaque from the base of the system and chewing teeth (6-8).
- Irrigator. The miniature water cannon helps to better clean places that are difficult to reach with the aforementioned items.
What brush to clean teeth with braces?
The usual accessories for “carriers” of non-removable orthodontic constructions are not suitable. Owners of braces need to buy a special device with bristles in the form of a “tick” or letter V, such brushes are often marked “ortho”. They provide intensive but gentle cleaning of the teeth without the risk of damaging metal and plastic archwires and locks. Single-beam brushes and brushes for braces are available in different sizes. The orthodontist will help you choose the right option during installation and subsequent corrections.
What paste to clean your teeth with braces?
Some pharmacological firms sell special products for fixing structures. Dentists do not give instructions on what kind of toothpaste to brush your teeth with braces. The choice of the described remedy depends on the desire and needs of the patient himself, the condition of the gums and enamel. You can brush your teeth with braces with any type of toothpaste. The main thing is that it provides high-quality plaque splitting and protects against its re-formation.
Can I brush my teeth with baking soda while wearing braces?
This food product is popular as a homemade enamel whitener. No orthodontist will confirm that you can brush your teeth with braces with soda. Even without fixing structures, it is highly undesirable to use it. This powder is highly abrasive (large and hard grains), so it scratches the enamel and gradually thins it.
How to properly brush your teeth with braces?
The frequency of the procedure is at least three times a day, but dentists advise doing it after every meal and even snacks. This is necessary to remove the smallest pieces of food, especially in the elements of the fixing structure. There is an established sequence of how to properly brush your teeth with braces:
- Rinse your mouth with water, use a V-shaped and single-beam brushes and paste.
- Apply superfloss.
- Clean the braces with a suitable size brush.
- Rinse your mouth well with a disinfectant and refreshing liquid. The use of such solutions serves to prevent the formation of plaque and the development of caries. Any rinse aid is suitable, including budget options.
It is desirable that at the reception the orthodontist demonstrates clearly how to thoroughly brush your teeth with braces. It is important to move the brush and brush correctly, removing stuck food from gaps, locks and arcs. Every six months, you should definitely visit a hygienist for professional cleaning of the oral cavity. Otherwise, hard stones and caries may form.
How to brush your teeth with braces with a toothbrush?
For maximum quality of the procedure, you need to purchase 2 accessories – a V-shaped and a monobundle. How to brush your teeth while wearing braces:
- “Walk” the brush over all external surfaces, moving it left and right.
- Perform similar actions for the back teeth and the chewing side.
- Clean the outer side with sweeping movements from the gum to the coronal part (from top to bottom and vice versa).
- It is identical to remove plaque from the inner surface.
- With a single-beam brush, scrupulously process the locks and arcs from above.
- Repeat steps below.
How to brush your teeth with a braces brush?
The described device exists of several types. The diameter and length of the “head” is selected individually. Before you brush your teeth with braces with a brush and superfloss (sometimes with an irrigator), it is important to thoroughly brush them. The accessories in question are designed to remove the smallest particles and plaque. How to brush your teeth with braces after eating and brushing:
- Remove food with a brush, filling it between the system and the enamel from below. Move up and down.
- Repeat in the opposite direction.
- Finish the event using superfloss.
In conclusion – a short video about appliances for dental care with a bracket system.