Hair follicles tend to become inflamed when they get pyogenic bacteria, usually staphylococcus and streptococcus. Therefore, a furuncle under the arm is a common occurrence, more common among women due to regular hair removal and depilation of this area, the use of antiperspirants. It is necessary to start treating suppuration in time, as it can cause inflammation of nearby lymph nodes.
Causes and basics of treatment of furuncle under the arm
Suppuration in the hair follicle and the sebaceous gland adjacent to it is caused by bacteria. They multiply rapidly, provoking the accumulation of a large amount of exudate, an increase in the volume of the inflammatory focus.
The causes of infection are usually:
- neglect of hygiene rules;
- insufficiency of immune functions;
- damage to the skin;
- chronic carriage of streptococcus or staphylococcus aureus;
- endocrine diseases, including diabetes mellitus;
- blockage of the sebaceous glands;
- use of other people’s personal hygiene items;
- fungal infections;
- excessive sweating;
- eating disorders;
- nerve ending damage.
Given that the boil is of a bacterial nature, the basis for the treatment of this pathology is the use of antibiotics and antiseptics. In some cases, a local conservative approach is not enough, and one has to resort to surgical intervention.
How to treat a furuncle growing under the armpit at home?
If the suppuration is weak and the place of inflammation is small, you can try to get rid of the problem in question yourself.
Treatment of a furuncle under the arm at an early stage of development at home:
1. Pay maximum attention to personal hygiene, change bed and underwear more often.
2. Treat the inflammatory element with antiseptics:
- salicylic alcohol;
- brilliant green;
- tincture of calendula;
- furacilin solution.
3. Use painkillers (if necessary):
- external – silver nitrate 1%;
- internal – Ibuprofen, Paracetamol.
4. Apply compresses with antibacterial ointments. Best of all, it helps to accelerate the maturation and opening of the abscess ichthyol.
In the presence of large or multiple boils, systemic antibiotics are required (Sumamed, Ampicillin, Ceftriaxone, Vancomycin and others), so it is still better to consult a doctor initially, avoiding self-medication.
How to cure a large and painful furuncle under the arm?
In some cases, drug therapy does not produce the expected effect and it is urgent to open the abscess, clean it and treat the cavity with an antiseptic.
Such manipulations are performed only by a surgeon under local anesthesia. Squeezing or scraping boils on your own is prohibited and dangerous.