Desperate to fight acne, many women are ready to take extreme measures. These include the strong belief that Erythromycin will help with acne. This strong antibiotic is indeed prescribed by dermatologists for acne of an infectious nature, but it should be used very carefully.
The expediency of using Erythromycin against acne
Erythromycin ointment can really get rid of acne. The indicated antibiotic with a pronounced anti-inflammatory effect is quite potent, and therefore its effectiveness should not be doubted. Both gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria that have affected the skin, when using the drug, lose their ability to reproduce and gradually disappear. The skin becomes clean. But this is possible only if a number of conditions are met:
- Erythromycin should be applied in a thin layer only on the affected areas of the skin. The procedure is carried out 2 times a day, the course of treatment is selected individually and can reach 12-16 weeks.
- The skin must be thoroughly cleansed before applying the drug.
- It is impossible to arbitrarily stop treatment ahead of time even if the desired effect is achieved. During the break, the bacteria will lose their sensitivity to this antibiotic and acne will bloom again in a violent color.
- Erythromycin and other antibiotics should not be used at the same time.
- From subcutaneous acne, Erythromycin ointment helps only if spot applications are made from it.
Will erythromycin tablets help with acne?
This antibiotic is available not only in the form of an ointment, but also in the form of tablets. It is too reckless to use them for the treatment of acne – when applied externally, the drug does not enter the bloodstream, therefore it has almost no contraindications. When used orally, Erythromycin has a systemic effect on the entire body and can cause serious disruption of the internal organs. In the form of tablets, the drug can be drunk only strictly according to the doctor’s prescription.